Tuesday 26 April 2016

Evaluation 2

HOW DOES YOUR MEDIA PRODUCT REPRESENT PARTICULAR SOCIAL GROUP?

This is the audio for evaluation 2 
During the creation of my magazine; which is the front cover, contents page and double page spread. I made sure I include many different techniques in order for me to represent a particular social group within my product and make sure I use the codes and conventions showed within my product. My target group that I aimed to represent was general people interested in R&B music. The demographics is people aged 16 to 24 years old, which are young professionals or students, which I extracted from my research and planning. They are also really into current trends and new changing hits. My magazine is all about R&B music and I have expressed this through the house style of my magazine, which focuses on burgundy, black and white. This is taken from my research into R&B music and my questionnaire. As the majority of my target audience chose dark colours as their favourite and what attracts them most. This is one element which indicates how I have represented my social group. In terms of research Vibe magazine inspired me the most to portray the alternative music through ever element of my magazine, such as colour, contents, fonts and other features.

I used models aged 18 and 19 for my photo shoots, however for the male model I changed his aged and said he is 22 years old. This is because through my research I found that the youngest R&B singer is in the ages of 22. Therefore I could not keep his real age as this wouldn’t be realistic. So for that reason I chose a model who will look 22 years old. I did not go for an older age because my target audience are 16-24 years old, therefore they need someone who they can related to, and for the younger audience they will be able to look up to him as their idol or want to look like him.  This links to Carl rogers or Jacques Lacan‘s theory the ideal-partner, or ideal-ego. This also challenges the general stereotype of young people as delinquents or trouble. However according to Bick Hebdige’s theory, Matt Blake and the target audience of this magazine are within the ‘fun’, ‘successful’ part of the spectrum.


To begin with the masthead/logo of my magazine which is ‘Volume’. This instantly allows people to have an idea that this relates to audience who like loud and rhythmic music. This relates and reinforces the stereotype of young people who are very loud, with unique personalities and have just started their adult life. For example, through the medium shot his facial expressions suggest he is friendly, successful and confident within himself, which reinforces positivity within the audience. The mise-en-scene of the image also represents my social group. First through his hair style, which very on point and styled upwards, relating to the person’s interest to R&B music, also apply to my social group who can be associated with these kind of hair styles. As for costume, the model is wearing a black t-shirt, chain and bracelets which again can be associated with R&B artists. However what he is wearing can be worn in any age bringing more focus to the genre rather than specific age of the audience. Another element is the lighting, which portrays Matt in a positive light, going with the idea of him being seen as a ‘confident’ person, which the majority of young people within our modern society have personalities like. His gesture reinforces this, as his hands folded connotes he is confident and laid-back, which people, especially who listen to R&B, will tend to have personalities like this, again reinforced by the lack of props and simple costume.

The image I have used in my contents page also says a lot about the social group of my product. The model’s posture, hands in his pockets, looking directly at the camera white the woman’s hand is on his chest shows he quite confident and relaxed. These associations can be clearly linked to my social group/target audience. Also his clothing; white shirt, black blazer, black trousers, shown through the medium shot. Display the other side of R&B musicians and audience’s, as they aren’t only into comfortable and simply clothing. However it still links to the R&B style, due to the tie/bow not being there, this shows it is not too formal. Suggesting the magazine is aimed at middle class people, who like to dress casually and pertly classically but not too formal. In addition, the way in which the woman’s hand is on his chest but he is shown not to care, reinforces his confidences and ego. The lack of props such as microphones, guitars and other music instruments, relate to R&B music as these props are normal associated with rock, metal or other music genres. I supported this supported this perception of young people even further by adding appropriate features within my contents page.

My double page spread image also reinforces the social group of my product as people who are confident, fun, relaxed and assured. The model looks very relaxed and confident as he is sitting on the chair looking directly at the camera, playing the part very well, as I intended for. Whereas the woman shown through the figure of her legs, she walking towards him. But he is not interested indicate his ego and self-assurances. Which again reinforces the theory of Carl rogers or Jacques Lacan‘s. It also relates to John Bergers theory men look, women appear, linking to the R&B music and audiences. 

Another feature which shows relation to my social group is the use of language. For my magazine; front cover, contents page and double page spread, I have made sure I use different language features. For example, I have included other R&B artists which people within this particular social group would listen, such as ‘Usher’, ‘Rihanna’ and ‘Chris Brown’. This is very similar to Vibe as they often cover the artists I have mentioned within my magazine. In addition, the language techniques I have also used represents this particular social group though it’s conventional or colloquial language. For example the cover lines and pull quote I have placed on my front cover ‘killer summit app’ reflect on the type of stories and features my social group would be interested in, such as apps, entertainment and mobiles. As these features are normal associated with young people.

Also the colour scheme and house style of my magazine reflects my social group and their linking’s. As the colours have chosen ‘burgundy, black and white’ was my target audience choice. Through my survey I asked my social group what was their favourite colour and the answer was dark colour such as the following. This shows how I have represented my social group, due to the fact that I have based my magazine and house style on their liking and what represents them. Also dark and bold colours are normally associated with young people. Also the costume links very well with the way my social group dress and to other artist used in Vibe magazine.

In addition, the prices of my magazine is £2.99, I think this is a good amount compared to billboard which is £6:99. This shows that the price for my magazine isn’t too high or low, especially while considering my social group which is less likely to pay more than £4 for a magazine, I have also taken this from my survey, when asking my target audience how much they are willing to pay. This also portrays that the middle class people, both genders expect quality for reasonable price of £3.99.
Moreover, I would deliberate my social group to be at least partly educated with a high ambition to be aspire, (May be in the BCD sector). Even though I have included some partying features, but the text within the magazine balance it out.

To conclude the evaluation of my social group I came up with Market Segmentation:  


Market segmentation evaluation 2 from doaael

Many people around this age will still be experimenting with their sense of style, from their music style to their fashion style, and I think my product promotes the general style of R&B of this particular age. I made sure that my model wore clothes specific to my genre. The clothes I selected were based of the research I done previously, when looking into general styles of this particular social group. The general social group within Vibe is very similar to mine, therefore I took a lot of inspiration from this magazine. Within the presentation below of original research, it will show how I have managed to represent this particular social group, particularly through costume:


To conclude, for this task I have clearly shown a verity of methods within my product to really show how I have represented my social group. I have done this mainly though the model, mise-en-scene, facial expression, body language, lighting, colour scheme, house style and the ability to always refer back to my research into audiences within other existing, successful magazines. also taken to consideration market segregation which enabled me to identify even more aspects about the social group of my magazine. I also created an audience profile which enabled me to portray different views about potential social group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment